Many of you asked for it… so here it is:
My deliriously deliciously healthy Quinoa Bake.
What is this keen-wah I speak of? Quinoa is one of those super foods you may have heard of whirling around the foodie community. It comes from South America, and despite being thought of as a grain it is in fact a seed! It’s an amazing source of plant protein, and is great for those who are trying to reduce their intake of carbohydrates. It is beautifully fluffy, slightly crunchy and light when cooked (be sure to rinse thoroughly before hand).
The added bonus is that quinoa is full of awesome stuff – iron, potassium, B vitamins and all 8 amino acids that our body does not produce!
Let’s get cookin’…
- 1/2 cup organic quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 cup organic red lentils, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 mild green chilli, chopped finely
- 1 onion of your choice, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 3 bay leaves
- 400gm of organic diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1 cup/can of water (use the tomato can to measure if you have one!)
- Some grated pecorino/parmesan cheese (or vegan cheese)
- Organic coconut oil
- Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
Lightly saute onion in the coconut oil until transparent. Add finely chopped green chilli and garlic, then stir until fragrant.
Meanwhile, in a separate pan, dry roast the spices lightly. Add spices to the above onion mix and stir through.
Add tomatoes and water into the mix, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Add rinsed quinoa and lentils to the mix. Add bay leaves, sea salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
Pour mixture into a square baking dish. Sprinkle generously with grated cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes in oven.
Love this delicious recipe? Let me know in the comments below!