There is no greater comfort than tucking into a stack of delightful, homemade pancakes, dripping with a ‘lil syrup and piled with some fresh berries, rhubarb compote, slivered and toasted almonds, or even just a simple squeeze of lemon!
Although this recipe breaks the
rules principles of Ayurveda (eating fruit with other food types), I’ve got to admit, these will leave you licking the plate.
Breakfast Banana Pancakes:
(Dairy Free, Egg Free, & GUILT FREE!)
Makes approximately 6 – 8 six-inch pancakes
- 2 very ripe medium bananas (heavily spotted are best!)
- 2 tablespoons of macadamia oil
- 2 teaspoons organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon organic pure maple syrup (Look for the Canadian kind!)
- 1/2 cup full fat organic cow’s milk, almond milk, or rice milk
- 1/2 cup purified water
- 1 cup organic wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons of organic shredded coconut
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (gluten free) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
Firstly, use a masher or fork to mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl.
Add the milk, water, oil, maple syrup and vinegar. Mix well.
Add the spelt flour, baking powder, shredded coconut, spices and salt. Mix until there are very few clumps left – but do not over mix.
Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat for a few minutes. Then coat the pan very lightly with oil (macadamia is great, and in summer I use coconut oil, as it helps to cool Pitta).
Pour the pancakes in 1/3 – 1/2 cup measurements, and cook until the top looks somewhat dry – or a number of bubbles start to show. Then flip over, and cook for another minute or so.
Transfer your pancakes to a plate (I love to sprinkle some ground cinnamon over each individual pancake, with a small drizzle of either Maple Syrup, Rice Malt Syrup or Raw Honey).
Serve with some berries, shredded coconut, or keep it simple and just them a squeeze of lemon on top.
Like this recipe? Let me know in the comments below, or even share it with a friend (who might just cook you some for brunch!).